Friday, September 7, 2012

Making New Friends

School started for us this week, and watching everyone out on the play yard during drop offs the past few days  I've been struck yet again by how difficult it is to make friends...for adults that is!

I love the old saying that "you wouldn't care so much what other people thought of you, if you knew how little they did" because often when we are in new situations our natural response is to become self conscious.  I am one of the most outgoing people I know, and even I experience the jitters when faced with the prospect of having to put myself out there and meet someone new.

But, it's important to remember that everyone is feeling nervous and self conscious.   Be the first one to reach out in a new social setting- and over time you'll find it becomes easier and easier to strike up a conversation or simply say hello at those morning drop offs.

How about you?  Do you have any helpful hints on meeting new people and making new friends?  Do you get the first day of school jitters?

No comments:

Post a Comment