Monday, September 3, 2012

Optimism vs. Authenticity

I just read this article, and it got me thinking what's the balance between optimism and authenticity?   I feel like we can get trapped in negativity, comparison, and complaining under the guise of authenticity...but on the opposite end when we portray our lives as perfect to others- we can end up isolating others and ourselves.

I think this is such an important question when thinking about community.  I talked about this in my post Say Yes to the Mess.  I want to be real with people...but, I also want to be safe, warm person to talk to.  If I'm always choosing to be complaining and annoyed about things- that obviously isn't welcoming either.
 Also...

I know I've mentioned this article before, but I think it's applicable here as well.  I love how beautiful she addresses that tension between being grateful and struggling with things that are difficult about the stage of life you're in.

I love Gretchen Rubin's personal commandment to "act the way" she wants "to feel."  In other words, sometimes acting in more positive, loving, or joyful ways will actually make you feel more so.


What do you think?  How do you live out that balance between being positive, optimistic, and happy while at the same time staying authentic with those around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment