Sunday, March 10, 2013

Don't Let the Perfect Be the Enemy of the Good

It's been a while since I've written here, and honestly, it's because there is something on my heart that I have yet to do:  talk to our neighbor!

Our elderly neighbor just had surgery, and I want so badly to talk with her husband to see how she is doing but I am having a hard time deciding what is appropriate.  I know he's a quiet man, and doesn't like a lot of attention- but I SO want to know how our family can show him and his wife love.

It's a scary thing to knock on a door, to pick out a gift (not knowing what someone might like), to ask about someone (who may not be doing well, who may not have made it at all). And, though it's such a romantic notion to care for our neighbors- sometimes it really can be (in the day to day) a difficult thing to do.

I know, too, that my girls just LOVE our neighbor so very much.  They draw her pictures, and talk about her all the time.  Selfishly, I don't want to know if she is not doing well- because I feel so scared to have to tell them that!  But, I know what I have to do.  I can no longer let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I'll keep you posted...


No comments:

Post a Comment