Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Trust Your G's

Today I had MOPS.  For those of you who don't speak Momese, it stands for Mothers of Preschoolers, and it's an awesome mom's group where moms come together to share a meal, hang out, and hear from speakers about a range of topics that apply to moms of preschoolers.

Anyway, today we had an "expert" come to talk to us about alternatives to discipline. And he had all kinds of opinions on how to train your child (comparing children on more than one occasion to animals).  I couldn't help thinking WHATEVER.

This isn't the first time I've felt this way.  A few months back, we were with a circle of parents and one insisted that if we didn't follow his particular parenting philosophy, by the age of 13 our kids would be screwed up for life.  Again, I say whatever.

There are many right ways to raise a child.

I started devising a little parenting philosophy of my own, and I call it: trusting your G's.

Now, I'm being a little silly, calling this my own philosophy, but the truth is while, yes, parenting is hard it doesn't always have to be so complicated.  Difficulties come on their own, there's no need to add worry, drama, and more hoops to jump through to the process.

So, without further adieu, here's my unsolicited anti-advice advice:

1) Trust God.  Open your heart to something bigger than you can envision for your child.  You are not in control; and you cannot micromanage every aspect of your child's life.  There is a peace that comes with praying for your child and releasing them to God. There is a calming confidence that comes with knowing YOU are your child's rightful parents, and you were the one entrusted to raise your child.  So, when someone else has a perspective to share- it's definitely okay to listen to and even heed their advice.  But, in the end you are the one who has been given the authority  to raise your child.

2) Trust Your Gut!  "Experts" have come and gone in the field of child rearing, child health, child fashion, etc.  For every theory, you can find a conflicting theory on any of these topics. But, if something feels wrong to you, don't do it.  You know your child best.  Whether it's your doctor, your mother, or your friend- trust YOUR gut.  Get a second opinion if you have to. Do whatever it is that needs to be done to make sure you aren't doing something that goes against what you know in your heart to be right.

3) Trust Your Girls...or boys, but I have all girls and 3 G's sounded better, so I went with it.  I can think of countless examples of when my daughters are trying to tell me something, whether it be a truly frightened reaction to someone, or just a word of correction or encouragement to me as their mom.  I know when something isn't right in their little hearts or minds - and it's okay for me to trust them when they are (either through their words or actions) telling me so.




1 comment:

  1. Hah! Love this!! I too wasn't impressed with the "expert".

    ReplyDelete