Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What the Wednesday: A Break From My Regularly Scheduled Programming

I'm taking a break from my regularly scheduled programming, because I wanted to talk today about something that's been on my mind.

This past week, I've been thinking a lot about routines.  I was inspired by an article I read in Good Housekeeping called Scheduling Happiness, where the author, Gretchen Rubin, talks about how really the everyday things are what make up the days, weeks, and years of our lives.  We tend to think in terms of major life events, and yet, those little things add up!  If you're spending every morning rushing around and scolding your kids as they head out to school, or if during dinner time you're always at your wits end with them and so you end up serving chicken McNuggets most nights- that adds up to their general impression of life growing up in your household for your kids!  I don't know about you, but that really hit home for me.

We have a few really meaningful routines in our day to day lives as a family- our time spent together around the dinner table and the time we spend with the girls bathing, reading, singing, and cuddling with them before bedtime are some of our favorites.  Each week we have Make Your Own Pizza Saturdays, and each year we have a few traditions during the holidays.

But, something I've been wanting to do for a long time is to sit around the table together for breakfast.  It would only require that we get up about 20 minutes earlier and I think it would make a big difference in our day.  A dear friend gave us a devotional book for kids that I've really been excited to start with the kids.  I want to do it over breakfast,  but chaos has taken over and the morning routine right now is total pandemonium.  I want to reclaim breakfast for our family and make it a meaningful part of our day!  We're starting tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

If you're looking for a great book on the subject, I love this one, Family Dinner by Laurie David.  There are a lot of great ideas for gathering around the table during mealtimes. 

Is there any day to day task, routine, or event that you want to change in your life?  Let me know!  I want to be inspired.









No comments:

Post a Comment