Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A New Presence of Mind

I've been thinking a lot about my weight this past week, because as I mentioned yesterday it's been a struggle for me this winter to maintain healthy eating and exercise habits.

When I really think about it, one of the reasons it's been hard for me, is because eating feels like a way to escape the present moment.  There are many moments through out my day that feel mundane or boring (like washing the dishes, for instance.)  They are chores on the list that have to be done, and there's just no joy in them.  So, sometimes I'll "reward" myself through out my day by pulling out an ice cream sandwich from the fridge, or noshing on some chocolate chips.  In the evenings, I feel like I've worked so hard all day and I'm so depleted, that all I want to do is sit down with a comfort food (usually a decadent dessert) and enjoy myself.

The problem is, I'm not really enjoying myself.  Most times, I stuff my face so quickly, there's little time for actual enjoyment.  I'm not present in those moments; my mind is disconnected from body and I'm somewhere else entirely.

I realized that being present doesn't just apply to my food intake.  It applies to the effort I'm putting into getting ready each morning as well.  What does it say about the day when I sleep in until the last minute,  get up and throw on some sweats, put on a hat, and head out the door?  I'm not expecting much from my day, am I?  I'm basically saying, I might as well go back to bed because that's what I'm dressed for.  What I wear does effect how much energy I have to play with my kids, to go to the park, to head out the door and explore.  To meet new friends (for me and for them), to start new projects, and yes, even to get household chores done.  When I feel good, I want my house to feel good to be in. Also, how I dress effects how I feel about my body.  I'm more aware of how my clothes are fitting, and I can't fool myself if I've been letting the scale creep.


So, I'm committed.  To healing my body and caring for myself in myriad of ways.  Eating healthier food, exercising when I can, and dressing in a way that makes me feel good: every day. It sounds so simple, and yet,  it takes focus and commitment to make it happen!  I turn 30 this year, and I want to welcome a decade of life in health and style. 

What do you think?  Are there things you know you could be doing to be more present in your day to day life?


No comments:

Post a Comment