Monday, August 13, 2012

Doing Dinner Prep Right

Last week, I talked about how I want to get up earlier each morning.  This led me to the conclusion that there are several things I need to start doing better.  One of which is getting dinner on the table earlier each evening.  My goal is to start getting up earlier starting the week before school starts for my daughters.  That way, I have time to really plan ahead, and think through how I can make this a lasting change to my routine.

With baby #4 on the way, I know that getting dinner on the table earlier will be an even greater challenge once he arrives.  And so, I started thinking, I better prep ahead.

In a few days, I'll be sharing tips for getting organized before school starts. I was a rookie last year, and elementary school completely side swiped me!  But, this year I've learned a few tricks that will get us on better track to start the year.  And, my goal of better meal planning falls in line with a calmer, easier beginning to the start of the school year as well.

A few ideas I have for starting this process:
  • Freezer friendly meals.   I'm going to be experimenting with making meals ahead and then freezing them.  I love to cook and I hate pre-made meals, but meals where I control the content might be a faster food option.
  • Crock pot meals.  I had the best, best crock pot.  And then I decided to put the ceramic insert on the stove.  While it was on.  It exploded.  No, I'm serious.  It exploded.  Soooo, I need to order a new insert (and I have needed to for 2 years now.)  I've searched the site of the manufacturer, found the part, and failed to pull the trigger several times. Why?  I'm going to order the part today and get started making more Crock Pot meals.  Maybe I'll share some here.  Don't worry, none of them will be of the 1980's southern casserole variety.
  • Simplified Meals.  I'm planning to take a look at some recipes online and in my many recipe books.  I'm on the lookout for fewer ingredients and less prep time.  If you know of any great recipes that fit the bill, please let me know!
 I know none of this is rocket science, but I'll be letting you know of any discoveries I make along the way. 

What about you?  Any ideas for getting dinner on the table at a reasonable hour?

Also, if you need a place to start, I love this site, but I was so bummed to learn that it no longer has new posts.  But, you can still look at all the tips, recipes, etc. for freezer friendly meals.   There's some really great stuff.  Enjoy!

Lastly, this week will be our first week of getting up at 6am.  Lucas and I are both getting up together.  Although, I'll be leaving him with some quiet time in the house while I go for a morning walk.  I'll update you at the end of the week about how it's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment