Thursday, September 20, 2012

5 Ways to Get Involved in Your Community for Moms

If you're a mom, and you're looking for ways to get involved in your community, here are some great ideas:

1)  I just heard of this organization, Make Ahead Mamas, which is a group of moms who get together to plan and cook healthy meals head of time for their families!  I think it's such a great idea, I just might try it myself.

2) Have you heard of Stroller Strides?  It's a national organization that provides work outs to moms.  You can bring your child along for the work out, and each one is tailored toward including a stroller as part of your physical fitness training.  It's brilliant, really.

3) Are you a part of any parenting groups?  I am a Christian, so I attend two faith based organizations.  One is MOPS International which is a small group for mothers of preschoolers (with childcare provided.)   The other is called Selah, which is a small group designed for women with elementary aged students. I love them both, but I find Selah particularly engaging and challenging as a mom of a young elementary child.  If you're interested in starting a group for moms of elementary aged students in your area, I would LOVE to talk with you about Selah.  So, just message me and I can give your more info!  Also, there are many other local parenting organizations that are not religiously affiliated, if that's a better fit for you.  One group that is popular nationally is called PEPS, and they provide small group gatherings for young families.

4) Are you a member of a co-op.  In Seattle, co-ops are all the rage.  They just aren't for me, but if you are interested in forming a co-op, they are a great way to build community.  There are co-op grocery stores and co-op preschools, which basically just means you participate  (or as the name suggest cooperate) in the operations of the organizations.  For preschool, for instance, you volunteer at least once a week to off-set the costs of preschool for your child and get to know the other children/parents in your community in the process.

5) Have you considered joining a book club?  I am a member of a women's book club, and most of the books chosen have dealt with topics of womanhood, parenthood, etc.  It's a great way to meet other people.  You may be more enthused about morning hikes or a cook book club.   There are several "stitch n' bitch" clubs in Seattle, where women come together to knit.  The point is, join with friends who have common interests and you'll get to know each other better.

No comments:

Post a Comment