Friday, May 11, 2012

Reader's Digest: What I've Been Reading

This week, the interwebs was all abuzz with a lot of interesting articles to read.  It is, after all, election season - so whether discussing politics or not, everybody's got something to say about everything.  That's just the way it goes during this season.

I've been reading a few things I thought I'd pass along, because I think they speak to some of the things I've discussed here on this blog.  In fact some of them just earlier this week.

For instance, the Drudge Report recently posted a photo a Hillary Clinton without make up.   My favorite two articles on the subject are here and here.  Both call out the conservative and liberal media for focusing on women's appearances vs. the content of their political agenda, their character, etc.  I find this issue one that is so close to my heart, because as a mother of girls, I know my daughters will be subject to far more scrutiny than any one person should have to take simply by virtue of having been born girls. I don't want that to rob them of the joy of being a woman.

I also read this lovely piece on the church's response to the LGBT community.  And, I just love it.  Though I don't think the church should be focused on popularity, per se, I think this piece does a great job of showing how the church is perceived based on this issue. 

And then, there was this, the most recent cover of the TIMES.  Already such a point of contention on Facebook and among the mothers I know.   I love this follow up piece. 

To me, all of these articles are connected.  (I like to make connections, I'll find them even if they aren't present so bear with me.)  I only wish that as we talk about the things that matter most to us: our politics, our relationships, our parenting styles that we could avoid being so nasty, so judgmental, so sensational.  Because at the heart of each of these debates are real people.  And, I think the more we have discussions across the table from real people, and the less we have conversations about people who are not present- the more we'll understand about one another.

As someone who loves quotes, let me leave you with a few:

"Let us, on both sides, lay aside all arrogance.  Let us not on either side claim that we have already discovered the truth.  Let us seek it together as something that is known to neither of us (fully).  For then only may we seek it lovingly and tranquilly, if there be no bold presumption that it is already discovered and possessed."  - St. Augustine.

And of course, this: "If you just people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment